I ran into an issue with Photoshop CS5 not communicating with an older scanner. The solution was to launch PS in 32-bit mode but this needed to be changed for any user that logged in. Here’s what worked for me.
- On you machine, Get Info of the Photoshop app and check “Open in 32-bit mode”
- Launch Workgroup Manager and locate your target machine. Get to the Preferences, Details window.
- Click the + symbol and navigate to ~/Library/Preferences and select the com.apple.LaunchServices.plist file and make sure it’s managed “Always.”
- Select the newly added plist file and click the edit button.
- Expand the Always menu and Delete the “LSHandlers” item.
- Expand the remaining menu item and it should look similar to this.
- Hit Done and that’s it.